How to Submit Your Eyewear Prescription via Email
Buying glasses online has never been easier! If you've had a recent eye exam and have your prescription on hand, you can easily submit it via email and order your new glasses from the comfort of your home. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you accurately submit your eyewear prescription.
Understanding Your Prescription
Your eyewear prescription contains specific terms and numbers that indicate the type and extent of vision correction you need. Here are the key elements:
- OD (Oculus Dexter) and OS (Oculus Sinister): These are Latin terms for right eye (OD) and left eye (OS).
- SPH (Sphere): This indicates the lens power needed to correct nearsightedness (-) or farsightedness (+).
- CYL (Cylinder) and Axis: These pertain to astigmatism. The cylinder is the lens power needed for the correction, and the axis is the angle of the correction.
- ADD (Addition): This is for bifocal or multifocal lenses and indicates the additional magnifying power required for reading or close-up work.
The Importance of Pupillary Distance (PD)
Aside from your prescription, the Pupillary Distance (PD) - the distance between the centers of your pupils - is essential to align the lenses correctly in your frames. This measurement is often not included in your prescription. If that's the case, you have two options:
Measure it yourself: You can measure your PD with the help of a ruler and a mirror. Look straight into the mirror and measure the distance from the center of one pupil to the center of the other. This measurement should be in millimeters.
Use an online tool or app: There are several reliable online tools and apps available that can help you determine your PD. These tools often use your device's camera and require you to position your face within a designated frame or to hold a card with a magnetic strip (like a credit card) on your forehead to provide scale.
PDCheck AR https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pdcheck-ar/id1563806777
Emailing Your Prescription
When you have gathered your prescription and PD, you are ready to email this information. Here's how to do that:
- Create a new email addressed to the appropriate address for the online eyewear store.
- For the subject, use something clear and direct like, "Eyewear Prescription for [Your Name]."
- In the body of the email, accurately transcribe all the information from your prescription. Make sure to include the PD.
- As a fail-safe, it's a good idea to take a clear photograph or scan your prescription and attach this image to your email.
Once you've sent the email, the online eyewear store will be able to use this information to create glasses that are perfectly tailored to your needs.
Remember that eyewear prescriptions typically expire after one to two years. Always ensure your prescription is current when ordering new glasses. If you have any questions or concerns about your prescription or PD, consult with your optometrist or eyecare professional.
Disclaimer: This article provides general guidance on understanding your eyewear prescription and PD. Always consult with your eyecare professional for accurate and personalized advice.